Here are the things upon which I have improved:
- I have started to embed multimedia into the homepage of my course each week (Vokis, Wordles, videos, etc.) to ensure that students see something "fresh" when they log in. I'm hoping that draws in students.
- I use Google Reader as an assignment. This encourages students to explore the fantastic information sources and educational blogs that far exceed the content in my course.
- I use Google Docs instead of the grading tool inside the LMS. Then students can post quick reflections, questions, or thoughts right beside their rubrics. This format also allows me to encourage second-chance learning and constant revision.
- I added Clay Shirky's book, Cognitive Surplus, as an additional text. I think it provides good perspective that can be applied to both education and the world at large.
Here are some areas that I still want to enhance:
- I want to provide more opportunities for collaboration and peer work. I do use a lot of discussion forums, but I need to provide LOTS of opportunities for interaction.
- I want to have students choose and attend an #edchat as a learning opportunity. I'm not quite sure about how to bridge this gap yet.