The paper shares 5 big ideas:
- Common Core Standards have new emphases and require a careful reading.
- Standards are not curriculum.
- Standards need to be "unpacked."
- A coherent curriculum is mapped backwards from desired performances.
- The standards come to life through the assessments.
Each big idea is a perfect sized chunk for discussion at a faculty meeting or professional development session. Give teachers the white paper now, and then roll out processing opportunities as they allow.
I hope this helps!